Artsy Fartsy Friday {Linky Party} Tissue Poms


It is that time again, folks! Jena Hudson from Sew Much Music and I are bringing to you another Artsy Fartsy Friday! Are you ready to get artsy fartsy? Link up at the bottom to show off your artsy projects you are working on this summer. 

For this Friday's Artsy Fartsy Friday post, I am showing you my tissue pons that I made to hang in my classroom. I am doing a bird themed classroom, and have recently painted my entire room a "Seascape Green," which is, surprisingly, not green, and actually the prettiest robin's egg bluish color. I am in love with it, but that is besides the point...
Since my room is blue, to look like sky, I wanted to make and hang white tissue poms to be my clouds.

Now, I know what you are thinking. There are TONS of tutorials on how to make these tissue poms all over the internet. I have looked at several of them, and they all made sense to me until it came to the "fluffing" part of it. None of the tutorials I have seen really give good descriptions, or pictures, of this important step, and it intimidated me to even try to make my own. After searching at Hobby Lobby for white poms, and failing at finding any, I finally decided I was going to sit down and try to figure it out. 

I hope that my tutorial will help you out if you decide to make your own. 

Materials Needed:
-Tissue paper (I used ten sheets per pom, so calculate it up depending on how many you want to make.)
-Scissors
-Floral Wire

Step 1: Gather tissue paper.
 I wanted my poms to be full so that they would look like fluffier clouds, so I chose to do ten sheets of tissue paper. I lined them up, horizontally, and did the best to get all ends together. 


Step 2: Fold tissue paper.
I started at the end and folded the tissue paper at about an inch, back and forth in an accordion fashion.




Step 3: Cut ends of tissue paper stack.
I didn't want my poms to be edgy or point when they were fluffed. I wanted them to be rounded to give the fluffy appearance. To do this, I rounded each end by cutting the ends off at a curve.




Step 4: Secure tissue paper.
I cut about four inches of floral wire and tied it around the center of my tissue paper stack, and then I twisted the ends to secure the wire from unraveling. 





Step 5: Begin to fluff.
To fluff, I fanned out one side of the floral wire center. I then began to peel down each layer of tissue paper. I would do one for one side, and then peel down one for the other side, continuing that until all of the layers were fluffed out. 
Then repeat the process on the other end. Fan it out, and begin to peel down, and fluff, each layer of tissue paper. 







Step 6: Fluff, fluff, fluff.
After having all the layers of tissue paper out and fluffed, I needed to play around with the tissue paper to get it to look just the way I wanted it to. The fuller, the better. 



Step 7: Add wire and hang.
This step I don't have pictures for because I have yet to actually do this, (but I am really excited to). In order to hang, you will need to find the center of your pom where your floral wire is tied. Take some string or wire and tie around the floral wire center at the desired length. Hang, and voila! 

I will be doing a post of my newly renovated classroom once it is completed and ready for the school year, so be sure to check it out and look for these tissue pom "clouds" hanging all around! 

Now it is your turn to either link up, or check out other artsy fartsy projects going on for Artsy Fartsy Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments/Feedback/Questions: